Anyway, some of you who get my journal emails might remember that a few days after moving to Shanghai I discovered that there was something at Walmart called "pineapple beer".
This just sounded really disgusting to me. Well, let me be honest, beer that is beer flavored is disgusting to me, the pineapple just would make it worse. So, I took a picture of it and sent it out as one of those "look at the weird things they have here" pictures. The thing that makes it even stranger is that it is Walmart's "Great Value" brand, this is not a strange Chinese thing, this is something approved by headquarters in Arkansas. Anyway, when it is on sale it is only 1.6 RMB, which is about 23 cents (U.S.). When I told Shane this (back in March of 2008), he told me I should have bought some because he was convinced that it was something along the lines of root beer or ginger ale - not an alcoholic beverage. After thinking about it, he had me convinced, especially since pineapple pop is quite popular in Korea. So, this week I saw a big display of it again (it must be seasonal in March) and so I bought a can to try it. I got it home, chilled it, opened it and smelled it - it really smells strongly of pineapple, so I took a big swig. LOW AND BEHOLD it really is BEER!!! I was coughing and choking and gagging. Of course I blamed it all on Shane and tried to make him feel really bad. But in the end it all turned out well because Johna made it into coconut shrimp and it made it quite nummy! Normally there would not be any beer in the house to make the batter with, so we may be stocking up on pineapple beer in the future.
This story made me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete